Are you a tenant (renter), condominium owner, or TIC owner?

Many private agreements such as leases, homeowner’s association bylaws, and Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CC&Rs) prohibit subletting (or use of your dwelling unit as a short-term rental). While the City does not enforce these types of private agreements, the Office of Short-Term Rentals strongly recommends that you review such agreements before submitting an application.

If you are a resident (whether a co-owner or tenant) of a tenancy-in-common (TIC) building, or are a co-owner of your dwelling unit, we will send a notice of your application to all co-owners of the building.

If you are a renter (tenant), in any type of property, we will send a courtesy notice to the owner(s) of your unit to inform them of your application. You may also need to provide a copy of your lease to staff.

If you are a renter and your dwelling unit is also subject to rent control rules, you may not make more than your monthly rent from short-term rental fees charged in the same month to guests.

To see if a property (home, condominium or apartment) is already registered to host short-term rentals,visit the City's Property Information Map, search for the address of the property, and click on the 'Planning Apps' tab. A Short-Term Rental Certificate will be listed (at the bottom of the Planning Apps screen) if one is currently active on the property.

Please note that pending or denied applications are not displayed on the Property Information Map.

Frequently Asked Question Item: Approximately 16% of registered short-term rental hosts identified themselves as a renter on their short-term rental application. However, it appears a number of those applicants that indicated they were renting the unit, appear to share the same surname as the property owner.